Integrating Gaming and Simulations Into My Classroom

One topic that has always fascinated me is space and astronomy. I would use an open-source planetarium software called Stellarium that simulates a realistic night sky to introduce my students to the wonders of the universe. This digital simulation tool allows users to explore celestial objects easily, making it a fantastic educational resource. You can access Stellarium for free from their website here.

I would plan a lesson within my informational writing unit focused on understanding and researching celestial objects. As a summative assessment during our informational writing unit, students write a research page on a celestial object to go in our class book. My goal would be to help foster a sense of curiosity about space and help students identify a celestial object they would be interested in researching. I would begin the lesson by discussing the night sky and asking students if they had ever looked at the stars and what they had seen. This would spark their interest and set the stage for our exploration.

Using Stellarium, I would display the current night sky on our ViewSonic board. I would point out and name various constellations, like the Big Dipper and Orion, and visible planets such as Mars and Jupiter. We would discuss their features to get students excited to learn about these celestial objects. Students would then engage in an interactive exploration activity. I would divide the class into small groups where they could use Stellarium on their Chromebooks. I would give them a list of objects to find, such as specific stars, planets, satellites, or constellations, and encourage them to share their findings with the class. This activity would allow students to interact with and explore space, as well as identify some celestial objects they would like to research.

When introducing Stellarium, I would provide a brief tutorial on how to use Stellarium, demonstrating how to navigate, zoom in and out, and search for celestial objects. I would pair students up or place them in small groups to encourage collaboration and support. For students who needed extra help, I would provide step-by-step printed guides with screenshots. For students needing extensions, I would offer additional challenges, such as finding specific stars or simulating different dates and times to see how the sky changes.

To assess their learning, I would observe students during the interactive exploration activity, noting their engagement and ability to use Stellarium. I would ask questions to gauge their understanding, such as "Can you show me where Mars is?" or "What is one thing you have learned about an object in space from your exploration?" I would also have students complete a worksheet where they identify 3 objects they may want to research. They would have to write one fact that caught their attention for each of the 3 identified objects.

By integrating Stellarium into my lesson, I would create a fun and engaging learning experience that encourages curiosity and a love for astronomy. This simulation would make learning interactive and bring the vast universe closer to students, sparking their interest in the wonders of space.

Stellarium Web. (n.d.). Stellarium web online star map. Stellarium Web Online Star Map. https://stellarium-web.org/

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Defining New Literacies and Why They Matter

Digital Platforms Case Studies - Google Classroom and Remind

How New Literacies are Relevant to Us